In 1871 Wilbur Bassett, his wife Adelia and son Herman traveled to Spokan Falls where Wilbur immediately found work building a sawmill on the river for Scranton and Downing Company. The family of three shared living space in Scranton's 12 x 24 foot cabin which was near the sawmill. Today there is a small monument marking the spot near the old Washington Water Power building by the falls.
While they were living in that cabin, their daughter, Minnie Maria Bassett was born on January 2, 1872. She is reckoned to be the first white child born in the area. That same year, ...
In 1959, Sam Webb recalled that back in the 1880s a family of Spokane Indians camped on the site of the new Gibson's Grocery (1011 1st Street) every winter. He said the camp was made up of about 10 to 15 teepees. This site is on high ground near the spring of water that gave Cheney its original name of Willow Springs.
Sam came to Cheney as a boy with his family on the first passenger train on the Northern Pacific Railroad line.
The Cheney area is part of the Spokane Tribe of Indians territory.
Located on the west side of North 6th Street near the corner of Mike McKeehan Way, Crunk's Hill was leveled to create sport fields. There is a plaque at the restrooms.
George W. Crunk came west from Tennessee. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a Private with the 20th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Company C. We don’t know when he came west, but by June 1878, he was farming this land with his wife, Annah, and their three children. The Crunk family did not stay long in the area, they moved to Oregon in 1883, but hill is remembered as part of Cheney lore ...
The building you see today, originally known as the Hansen-Hubbard building, was erected in 1909 by Cheneyite, George Yeaman for Charles I. Hubbard and Peter C. Hansen. The one-story brick building was divided into two stores with their entrances facing 1st Street. Our focus is on the left half, 402 1st Street owned by Mr. Hubbard.
What was here before? We can go back to 1884 when M. Kaminsky & Son operated a general merchandise store from a one-story wood building on this corner. Kaminsky left town in 1890 and the building was taken over by a dry goods merchant. It ...
Guy Wilson Leach was inducted into the Army at Spokane on August 30, 1918 at the age of 23. Private Leach was with Company L of the 44th Infantry Brigade until his discharge on July 1, 1919. That October he married his sweetheart Edith Gilbert.
Guy was a member of the American Legion Post in Cheney. He was a custodian at the junior high school and did carpentry work in Cheney.
Ernest C. Hansen was inducted into the Army at Spokane on August 30, 1918. He served with Company A 37th Machine Gun Battalion 13th Division until his release from service January 29, ...
Carl Dryer Grubb was transferred from the Student Army Training Corps at Oregon Agricultural College into the Coast Guard August 14, 1918. He served with Battery D 27th Coast Artillery Corps. He was released from service at Camp Lewis on January 10, 1919.
Salmer O. Visby of Amber was inducted into the Army on July 23, 1918 at Spokane. The 24-year-old served with Company M of the 62nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division. Private Visby was discharged February 17, 1919.
Photo of Sam Visby and Jim Andren
Peter Hartmeier was inducted into the Army at Spokane August 7, 1918 at age 28. He served at Long Island, New York with Company D 62nd Infantry until his discharge February 22, 1919.
James Edward Andren was inducted into the Army at Spokane on July 23, 1918. He did his basic training at Camp Lewis Washington. In August 1918 he was assigned to Company M 62nd Infantry until his discharge May 17, 1919.
James was 22, working as a farm laborer for Robert Mill. James was described as medium height, stout build with blue eyes and red hair.
Francis Keefe was a student at the Normal School when he joined the Army July 23, 1918. He served with Headquarters Company, 62nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division, the Sappers and Bombers.
George A. Latimer of Plaza was inducted into the Army on July 23, 1918. Private Latimer served with the Headquarters Company of the 12th Infantry at Camp Mills and Camp Stuart until his discharge on March 20, 1919.
Clifford H. Van Brunt of Cheney was inducted into the Army at Spokane on July 23, 1918. He served with Company K of the 62nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division. In August 1919, he re-enlisted for another term, before settling down to marry is sweetheart, Kathryn Jensen of Cheney in 1928.
The Cheney High School Cyclone and the Cheney High School News column of the Cheney Free Press contained numerous stories of students' efforts in the war effort.
Six teams of ten boys each have secured pledges from boys of the Cheney High School to the amount of $469. The captains of the teams were: Howard Erickson, Charles Roos, Jack Lawton, Emmett Key, Ernest Burke, and Lee Mason. - Fall 1917
Six boys of the high school, in a house-to-house canvass of the town of Cheney, secured pledges for government bonds of the second Liberty loan amounting to $1,300. ...