1 result for tag: 1894


1894 View of 1st Street

People gathered horses, wagons, and even a pair of bicycles for this 1894 photograph. To the right, several businesses can be seen including Steve Harris' blacksmith and wagon shop which had been in operation since 1878, John Garner's secondhand store, a hardware store, J.E. Roos' bakery, and a store advertising stoves, tinning and plumbing. While it is difficult to see, there is a city well and watering trough on the right side of the street near the power pole. It was one of three municipal wells serving the business district. While a municipal water system had recently been installed that brought water from Fish Lake to a reservoir on the hill ...