2 results for tag: Bank of Cheney
Seventy-five years ago in May 1941, the old Walters building at 421 First Street was demolished to make room for the rebuilding and expansion of the Seattle First National Bank. Louis Walter first built a wood frame building on the site in 1881, opening his harness shop. He replaced that building with a 2-story brick structure in 1887.
One hundred twenty-five years ago in 1891, the First National Bank of Cheney opened new brick building at 423 First Street. Bank of America is located on that site today. The Bank of Cheney was established in the early 1880s and had several owners before Daniel F. Percival took over. Along with his successful banking and real estate business, Mr. Percival was Cheney's first mayor. The second floor of the bank building held offices for lawyers and physicians. Next door is Louis Walter's harness shop. Prior to 1904, the Odd Fellows met upstairs.