6 results for tag: fires
This larger, second, Tyler School was completed in 1912 at the north end of B Street. There were three grades to a room. The high school was in the same building. There was a horse barn for the kids to stable their horses in and a shelter for cars to park. - Arley Heyer, December 1, 1994. Originally, there were two horse barns near the schoolhouse with room for 16 horses. Students who rode to school were responsible for bringing food for their horse. In March 1918, school was closed due to a Smallpox outbreak. Several children were sickened with the disease and the school was closed for a week to help stop its spread. Dr. Cooper of Cheney spent ...
Another ghost on the campus. This one loomed large in folks memories, not only for the many sporting events they attended there, but also its spectacular end. After World War II, the government had surplus buildings available. One of those was a drill hall at Camp Walgreen at Farragut Naval Training Base north of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Some local boys, including Chuck Shepard were stationed at Camp Walgreen for training in the early days of the war. In April 1947, Eastern Washington College of Education, as it was known then, acquired the building. Gaasland Construction of Bellingham was contracted to disassemble and move it to Cheney. A ...
Seventy-five years ago in 1940, the Marshall railroad depot was destroyed by fire. Most of the town's citizens and even railroad tankers came out to quell the blaze to no avail. Support our efforts to share history with a donation here. http://ow.ly/OhtYX
One hundred twenty-five years ago on February 23, 1890 a fire started in O’Donnell’s hardware store and destroyed ten businesses including the Post Office, Tom Devaz’s saloon, J.E. Thomas’ photography studio, Switzer’s Drug store, James Minnick’s jewelry store, the tailor shop, and Dr. Turner’s office. The fire was ruled suspicious.Like this story? Support our all-volunteer museum with a small donation here. http://www.cheneymuseum.org/donate.html
One hundred twenty-five years ago on April 18, 1889, an arson fire destroyed most of the business district in Cheney. Forty-five businesses and homes from the railroad tracks to 2nd Street burned. Sabotaged fire hoses hampered the citizens’ efforts to stop the blaze. Fire was deemed "suspicious." Learn more about our area’s history at www.cheneymuseum.org.
Seventy-five years ago on a hot August 6, 1938, a fire swept through 470 of acres on the Heinemann, Grein, and Mickey farms north of Cheney. The fire destroyed 250 acres of stubble, as well as 220 acres of wheat; 120 on the Heinemann place and 100 on the Grein place.