22 results for tag: Historic Buildings


404 1st Street

The Hubbard-Hansen buildings were erected in 1909 as a single front façade with two businesses. Our focus here is on the east half, 404 First Street. What was here before 1909? Well, nothing, until after 1905 when a small wooden structure on part of the lot held the office of the Cheney Transfer Company, a "draying" or hauling business. Here's a quick list of occupants: 1909-1910 Peter Monk's ladies and gents' furnishings and millinery 1911 - 1916 Jesse G. Campbell's Cheney Cash Store 1916 - 1929 E.N. Guertin's or Guertin's Cash Store. 1929 - 1948 W.J.H. Carr's Cash Store 1949 - 1968 Les Zimmerman's Ben Franklin 1968 - 1969 ...

402 1st Street – Cheney Map

The building you see today, originally known as the Hansen-Hubbard building, was erected in 1909 by Cheneyite, George Yeaman for Charles I. Hubbard and Peter C. Hansen. The one-story brick building was divided into two stores with their entrances facing 1st Street. Our focus is on the left half, 402 1st Street owned by Mr. Hubbard. What was here before? We can go back to 1884 when M. Kaminsky & Son operated a general merchandise store from a one-story wood building on this corner. Kaminsky left town in 1890 and the building was taken over by a dry goods merchant. It was a saloon starting about 1897. In 1904, the building was the temporary ...

1920 Senior Hall

Senior Hall was dedicated as the second Normal School women's dormitory on July 9, 1920. While today there is a walkway, in the early days, D Street and automobile traffic passed in front of the building. The hall was used as a dormitory until 1971. While the hall opened in 1920, work on the third floor wasn't finished until 1925 due to financial problems. Senior Hall was a three-story brick, U-shaped building with two entrances that had cast-iron canopies each end of the front, very similar to Monroe Hall. Within the U at the back of the hall, was a sheltered courtyard. During World War II, Red Cross bandage rolling rooms were located in ...

1940 Hargreaves Hall

From the time he became President of the Normal School in 1926, Richard T. Hargreaves wanted to build a modern library for the school. His death on March 4, 1939, midway through construction of the new building, meant that his most ambitious project bears his name as a memorial to his efforts. Mr. Hargreaves was born in England in 1875 and came to America with his family at age eight. After graduating from university, he began his career in education as a teacher in Kansas. He first came to Washington in 1909 as Principal of North Central High School in Spokane. After nine years here, he took a job as a high school principal in Minneapolis. In ...

1929 President’s House

This Georgian Colonial style house was completed in 1929 for President, Richard T. Hargreaves and his wife, Edna "Rose" Morrow Hargreaves. The home was occupied by succeeding school presidents until 1987. It then became a faculty club, as well as a special events venue for the college and community. Weddings, receptions, and other special occasions were held in the renamed University House until 1998. That summer, President Stephen Jordan and his wife, Ruth, moved into the President's House, returning it to its original use. The two-story red brick house is 47 by 30 feet with a 14 x 10 foot one-story extension on the back. In 1946, a two-car ...

1958 Garry Hall

Garry Hall was created out of the eastern half of Hudson Hall to house married students and a few single women students. Garry Hall opened in September 1958. It is believed that it was named in honor of Chief Garry of the Spokane Indians. It was created out of the eastern side of Hudson Hall which was acquired as government surplus after WWII to house the large influx of veteran students attending college on the GI Bill. According to Allen Ogden, who was the manager of the hall, there were seven apartments for married couples, in addition to rooms for unmarried female students. Hudson Hall at the west end of the complex continued as a men's ...

1916 Monroe Hall

Monroe Hall was the first dormitory built at the Normal school. It was dedicated February 4, 1916, and housed about 90 women. At this time, the majority of students were women, as teaching was one of the few professions open to single women. Monroe Hall featured a dining room and laundry facility for its residents. Prior to this, all students boarded in private homes, boarding houses, clubs, and “light housekeeping” rooms. People who made a living from providing room and board to students saw this new dormitory as the of killing private enterprise by the state. It began the "town & gown" schism within Cheney as students had more of their ...

1947 Hudson Hall

Acquired through State and Federal funding, Hudson Hall was moved from the Kaiser ship building operation at Vancouver, Washington. It opened in 1947 to house veterans of World War II attending school on the G.I. Bill. This campus ghost stood where the mall is today. Following World War II, colleges across the country prepared for a large influx of single and married veterans taking advantage of the G.I. Bill. With federal and state assistance, Cheney met the need through war surplus trailers and buildings. The post-war expansion that began with Trailerville added Hudson Hall in late 1946. The origin of the name “Hudson House” is still a ...

1946 Trailerville

We pause here to remember the ghost of the Trailerville community. Following World War II, colleges across the country prepared for the large influx of single and married veterans taking advantage of the GI Bill. With federal and state assistance, Cheney met the need with war surplus trailers and buildings. The post-war expansion began with Trailerville. At the end of 1945, the college received funding to acquire a number of war surplus small house trailers to use as temporary housing. It opened July 1946, and became known as "Trailerville."       The 8' x 35' tin and plywood painted trailers served as married ...

1948 Rowles Music Building

We stop to remember another ghost building. This was a post-World War II plain, utilitarian brick building, named for William Lloyd Rowles, Head of the Division of Music and Professor of Music. The music department moved from the Showalter Hall music annex into Rowles Hall in 1948. The long side of the building faced 9th Street with its main entrance at the west end. It housed practice and ensemble rooms, as well as studios for private instruction, plus wind and string studios. A wing of the building behind the main entrance held an auditorium. A story in the Kinnickinik yearbook stated "The music hall is open to campus personnel, as well as ...