2 results for tag: IOOF


Looking Back: 1891 Nat’l Bank of Cheney

One hundred twenty-five years ago in 1891, the First National Bank of Cheney opened new brick building at 423 First Street. Bank of America is located on that site today. The Bank of Cheney was established in the early 1880s and had several owners before Daniel F. Percival took over. Along with his successful banking and real estate business, Mr. Percival was Cheney's first mayor. The second floor of the bank building held offices for lawyers and physicians. Next door is Louis Walter's harness shop.  Prior to 1904, the Odd Fellows met upstairs.

1935 Rebekah Lodge

Clubs and lodges were an integral part of residents lives in 1935. The two largest organizations were the Odd Fellows and the Masons. The Cheney Free Press acted as the social media forum of the day, and news about the election and installation of new officers in clubs was front page news. Rebekah banner in the collection. Morning Star Rebekah Lodge #24 installed the following women in January 1935: Mrs. Ruth Johnson, Grand Noble; Mrs. Lillian Fish, Vice Noble; Mary Barton, Secretary; Mrs. Nellie Webb Reuter, Financial Secretary; Mrs. Lucretia Bottorff, Treasurer;  and Mrs. Verna Kleiner, Trustee. The men of IOOF Lodge #21 also ...