2 results for tag: WWII


1920 Senior Hall

Senior Hall was dedicated as the second Normal School women's dormitory on July 9, 1920. While today there is a walkway, in the early days, D Street and automobile traffic passed in front of the building. The hall was used as a dormitory until 1971. While the hall opened in 1920, work on the third floor wasn't finished until 1925 due to financial problems. Senior Hall was a three-story brick, U-shaped building with two entrances that had cast-iron canopies each end of the front, very similar to Monroe Hall. Within the U at the back of the hall, was a sheltered courtyard. During World War II, Red Cross bandage rolling rooms were located in ...

1946 Trailerville

We pause here to remember the ghost of the Trailerville community. Following World War II, colleges across the country prepared for the large influx of single and married veterans taking advantage of the GI Bill. With federal and state assistance, Cheney met the need with war surplus trailers and buildings. The post-war expansion began with Trailerville. At the end of 1945, the college received funding to acquire a number of war surplus small house trailers to use as temporary housing. It opened July 1946, and became known as "Trailerville."       The 8' x 35' tin and plywood painted trailers served as married ...