8 results for tag: 1890


Looking Back – 125 Years City Hall

One hundred twenty-five years ago on October 24, 1890 the City of Cheney’s new City Hall, fire station and jail opened in a new brick building at 111 E [College] Street. Today, the remodeled building houses the Cheney Thrift Store and apartments. You can help us continue to share history by donating here.

Looking Back – 125 Years – Normal Opens

One hundred twenty-five years ago, on October 13, 1890 the Cheney Normal School opened with sixteen students enrolled and W. Gillette as Principal. Like these glimpses back in time? Click here to help fund them.

Looking Back; 125 Years Ago 1890

Charles Ratcliffe's farm implement dealership One hundred twenty-five years ago in April 1890, the Cheney Enterprise newspaper reported that businesses in Cheney included: Bank of Cheney, Cheney Enterprise newspaper, three dry goods and gents furnishing stores, eight groceries, four saloons, one hardware and farm implement store, one furniture store, three drug stores, two realtors, one attorney, Louis Walter's harness shop, and five lodging houses and restaurants. Like this story? Support our all-volunteer museum with a small donation here. 

Looking Back – 125 Years Ago

One hundred twenty-five years ago on March 22, 1890 the Benjamin P. Cheney Academy was approved as Washington State’s first Normal School. The term “normal” refers to training the teachers to a norm or a standard, and teachers were given certificates showing they were qualified to teach in the state. Like this story? Support our all-volunteer museum with a small donation here. http://www.cheneymuseum.org/donate.html

Looking Back – 125 Years Ago

One hundred twenty-five years ago on February 23, 1890 a fire started in O’Donnell’s hardware store and destroyed ten businesses including the Post Office, Tom Devaz’s saloon, J.E. Thomas’ photography studio, Switzer’s Drug store, James Minnick’s jewelry store, the tailor shop, and Dr. Turner’s office. The fire was ruled suspicious.Like this story? Support our all-volunteer museum with a small donation here. http://www.cheneymuseum.org/donate.html

Martin & Hubbard Creamery Opened 125 Years Ago

One hundred twenty-five years ago in 1890, Frank M. Martin and Willis P. Hubbard opened the first creamery in Cheney. Frank Martin sold his share to Frank Fellows a few years later to go into the grain warehouse and milling business. You can help to ensure that we can keep telling the stories of our history by making a donation to the museum today. Click Here and make a donation to make sure we have many more birthdays to share with you. 

Looking Back – 125 years ago

One hundred twenty-five years ago, the winter of 1890 brought heavy snow and a series of cold snaps in January and February with minus twenty-three degrees on January 5th. Settlers suffered losses of livestock and game animals. Like this story? Support our all-volunteer museum with a small donation here. 

Discoveries in Cataloging: Wittenbach Family Photo

The Wittenbach family, circa 1892. Jacob and Rosetta Toel Wittenbach will young Will and baby Minnie. Papa and Mama came from Switzerland.  New to the collection. [ Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:23:12 ]