4 results for tag: schools
Located on the west side of North 6th Street near the corner of Mike McKeehan Way, Crunk's Hill was leveled to create sport fields. There is a plaque at the restrooms. George W. Crunk came west from Tennessee. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War as a Private with the 20th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Company C. We don’t know when he came west, but by June 1878, he was farming this land with his wife, Annah, and their three children. The Crunk family did not stay long in the area, they moved to Oregon in 1883, but hill is remembered as part of Cheney lore because of an incident in the fall of 1878. In 1915, Mary Cook Spangle spoke ...
One hundred twenty-five years ago on March 31, 1891, The Jamieson School District organized. This district was northeast of Cheney in the area of today's Sunset school.
One hundred years ago in 1913, the Reitmeier, Hayford, Hazelwood, and Normandie schools were consolidated into Sunset School. The school was one mile south of Sunset Boulevard, but was moved one mile north of the road in 1926. It was in 1918 that Sunset became a “highway” that linked Spokane to Cheney via the “Normal Highway,” later known as Hayford Road.
Cheney High School The Cheney School District Board will hold a meeting on August 7th at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room (first floor) of the Fisher Building. The board will consider the purchase offer for the Fisher building of developer, Steve Emtman. The public is invited to attend.